15 curiosities of Mexico City
Mexico City has several curiosities and facts that everyone should know before traveling to it. Here you will find the ones that we thought were more interesting.
1. It has at least 10 very important archeological sites among which stand: Teotihuacán, Cuicuilco, Templo Mayor, Tlatelolco, Cerro de la Estrella, etc.
2. The oldest street in all the continent is located in Mexico City and was built between 1377 and 1389 by an Aztec emperor. Actually, this Street is known as Tacuba, Avenida Hidalgo, Puente de Alvarado, Ribera de San Cosme and Calzada Mexico-Tacuba.
3. The Chapultepec Castle is the only royal castle in all the American continent. It was home of Maximiliano I of Mexico, the second emperor of the extinct Mexican Empire.
4. The first building buit in the old Mexico City was the Palacio Virreinal in 1526, today better known as Palacio de Gobierno, famous for being the place where every year the Independece party and its famous “Grito” are held.
5. The Basílica de Guadalupe is the second most visited catholic sanctuary in the world after the Vatican.
6. The second biggest “theater” in the world, the Auditorio Nacional, and the third largest stadium, the Estadio Azteca, are located in Mexico City.
7. Chapultepec’s Forest is the biggest urban park in Latin America, as reference, it is twice as big as the famous Central Park in New York.
8. The Zocalo is the third largest square in the world, after the Red Square in Moscow and the one in Tiananmen in Beijing.
9. Mexico City is the city with the largest number of museums in America and the second city in the world, only after London. It has 151 officially recognized museums and more than 200 that are waiting for oficial recognition.
10. The CDMX is the second with more skyscrapers in Latin America after Panama. The city has 110 elevated buildings (110 meters), 17 tall buildings (150 meters) with 25 that are being built and 4 buildings with more than 200 meters and 8 being built, it also has a super tall building with more than 300 meters.
11. It is the 10th most populated city in the world, with a population of 22 million in its metropolitan area. The most populated city is located in China and has over 50 million people.
12. The public transport system Metro is the largest in Latin America, with 12 lines and 226 kilomenets spread in 195 stations.
13. Mexico City has an economy larger than the 76% of the countries in the world. It is bigger than countries like Austria, Romania, Hong Kong, Peru, Ukraine, Norway, Portugal, Israel, Greece, Qatar, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Panama, Paraguay, Luxemburg, among others.
14. Since its establishment as Tenochtitlán in 1325, the city already was one of the biggest and most populated in the world.
15. The UNAM is the largest university in the world and one of the best in all the continent. Besides, it has three orchestras, cinemas, theatres, more than 30 museums, a soccer and football team and campus in France, USA and Canada.